Looking for a healthy version of Macaroni and Cheese
to serve to your kids?
Jai Seed Vegan MAC & CHEESE
½ cup cooked butternut squash
1 cup of filtered water
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
½ cup raw cashews
squeeze of lemon
sea salt to taste
Slice the butternut squash lengthwise and remove the seeds.
Place skin side down on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes at 350 until done.
Scoop out the squash. Set aside.
In a Vitamix or food processor, pulse the cashews until they are mealy In texture.
Add the nutritional yeast and pulse again.
Add the butternut squash and water.
Finally give a squeeze of lemon and add a bit of salt to taste.
Blend once more and there you have it...yummy cheesy sauce!
If you prefer it hotter, transfer to a sauce-pan to heat and adjust seasonings or just keep that Vitamix running for a couple minutes.
Serve over rice pasta or macaroni noodles of your choice prepared according to package directions.
You can find lots of fabulous vegan recipes in the JAI SEED E-COOKBOOK from JAI Lifestyle.
Annie’s Natural Mac and Cheese Recipe
BAKED MAC & CHEESE WITH ORGANIC VEGGIES
Submitted by Vivian Cummings
2 boxes of Annie’s Macaroni
1/2 cup organic skim or low fat milk
2 tbsp organic butter or margarine 1 cup fresh chopped organic tomatoes
1 cup fresh chopped organic green and red peppers
1 tsp fresh basil
1/2 cup organic cheddar cheese, cut into strips or small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Boil water and cook two boxes of noodles per instructions.
3. While they're cooking, mix the cheese sauce from the boxes, milk and butter or margarine and basil.
4. When the noodles are cooked, drain the water and pour the noodles into a large glass casserole dish.
5. Pour the cheese sauce mixture evenly over it.
6. Add the tomatoes and peppers, and stir until they're mixed evenly.
7. Distribute the strips or pieces of cheese on top so they melt onto the dish.
8. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hr (might be more like an hour and a half, depending on your oven).